On February 22, 1875, the catholic cemetery of Casas Viejas was inaugurated. As such, it was in operation for more than one hundred years and is a symbol of the history of the town and The Events of Casas Viejas.
The photographs taken in the cemetery in 1933 were the most famous and used by different media. This first photograph made on January 13 from the cemetery wall by Serrano includes a general panorama. In it three groups of characters can be observed; on the one hand the authorities, represented by the mayor Juan Bascuñana, the Assault Guards, Civil Guard and arbitrators. On the other hand the health personnel, two forensic experts, Joaquín Hurtado and Fismato Pérez Uclés, the doctor from Casas Viejas, Federico Ortiz, the one from the Red Cross section of Jerez, Dr. De La Villa, the practitioner Jesús Escobar and the student of local medicine Alfonso Pérez-Blanco. A third group is composed of journalists Sánchez del Pando, Gelán, Gil Gómez Bajuelo and Joaquín López San Miguel. The third plane corresponds to the victims. At the back of the town, we can see the priest’s enclosure, San Juan Street and in the distance the two large houses of Alameda, the owner José Vela Morales and the Guardia Civil barracks. The other photos are a variant of this first one. The anonymity and therefore the little significance of the victims are clear.
The treatment of the corpses produced during the Events reflects the way in which those have been treated and their evolution over time. The remains are taken to the common grave ten days after the events and do not appear in the parish archives until 1945, in which the then priest, Father Muriel, possibly, in the course of an administrative process, realizes that they are not registered and write them down on another sheet. During the whole dictatorship the remains of the dead rested in a common grave, in the non-consecrated zone. In the year 1978, the remains of the old man were transferred to the new cemetery, in which the incipient executives of UCD and PSOE freed their own funds to pay a niche in the new cemetery. Then in 1993, already with the Town Hall, there was inaugurated a tombstone for the victims of the Events of Casas Viejas. At present, all the institutional acts that are programmed around the Events include a floral offering in the cemetery.